- Smile when you greet people.
- Shake hand with men for greeting, but not women unless they offer to do so first.
- Dress neatly when entering places of worship.
- Remove your shoes before entering a Malaysian home or religious buildings.
- Follow simple rules when visiting places of worship.
- Use right hand to receive or give something.
- Wait to convert your currency in Malaysia. There is restriction of bringing large amounts of ringgit into or out of the country.
- Do not touch the head of an adult. Touching people on the head is considered rude.
- Do not point forefinger at things. Instead, the thumb of the right hand with four fingers folded under is the preferred way.
- Do not point your feet towards people or sacred images.
- Do not wear hot pants and vests at mainland beaches if you are female.
- Do not kiss in public. Most Malaysians refrain from displaying affection such as embracing or kissing in public.
- Do not discuss ethnic relations or the political system. They are both sensitive subjects.
- Do not ever involve in illegal drugs. There is a mandatory death penalty for trafficking.