Singapore is a very clean, safe and efficient country due to the strictly enforced laws. There are some rules and guidelines you must adhere to when you are in Singapore.
- Address someone by using the titles Mr., Mrs. or Miss with the surname.
- Perform handshaking with others as a warm way of greeting, but be aware that Malays do not shake hand. A nod of the head and a bright smile is a polite greeting between people of the opposite sex.
- Remove your shoes while entering a private house, a temple or a mosque.
- Leave a little on the plate when you have finished eating.
- Do not litter while in Singapore.
- Do not chew your gum in Singapore. Chewing gum in this country may get you arrested.
- Do not smoke in public.
- Do not get involved in any drugs. Singapore carries a mandatory death penalty for drug-trafficking.
- Do not touch someone's head.
- Do not discuss religion or politics.
- Do not point someone with your index finger, which is considered very rude.